Preop Shoulder Replacement
The risk of surgical site infections may be lowered by reducing the number of bacteria on the skin prior to surgery. The most effective way to do this is to wash with an antimicrobial solution. You should have received a prescription for a 4 ounce bottle of Hibiclens (Chlorhexidinegluconate or CHG) antimicrobial solution. (The solution is also available over-the-counter in the First Aid section of the pharmacy.) The steps below outline the application process and should be carefully followed. This soap must be used THREE DAYS prior to your surgery.
Important points to know before starting:
- DO NOT shave any area of the body for at least 2 days before surgery
- Avoid contact with eyes, ears, mouth and genital area
- DO NOT apply lotions, moisturizers, or makeup after washing with Hibiclens
- Dress in clean clothes or sleepwear after showering with Hibiclens
- The directions below are to be done two days before surgery, the day before surgery and the morning of surgery for a total of THREE showers
- Wash your hair using normal shampoo, and your face with your regular soap or cleanser
- Using a fresh, clean washcloth and 1/3 of the Hibiclens Soap, wash from your neckdown. Pay special attention to the knee or hip we will be doing surgery on
- Rinse your body thoroughly. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
- Using a fresh, clean towel to dry your body
If you have any signs or symptoms of skin reaction, such as redness or itching, rinse the area thoroughly and discontinue use.
If you have any questions or concerns about the above procedure please do not hesitate to contact our office at: (480) 964-2908.